Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school. Last night was "Meet the Teacher" night. Only one momma stuck around a long time. She got there at 5:45, and I had to walk her out at 7! She told me everything about her daughter...her favorite # is 13, color purple, and lots of other things! I have to remind myself that this is her oldest kiddo, and she's never been to school or daycare. Today she was great, but I think she may have gotten lost in the sea of my 25 kids!

Yep, you read that right! TWENTY FIVE kindergarten students. 17 returned from last year, so only 8 newbies but still, 25!!! We survived. I only lost 2 kids all day -- they were both in the bathroom and I forgot I sent them in from recess to go. Only one accident -- but his mom told me has have been having bowel problems all summer. She gave me lots of info on his BMs, and honestly, I did not want to know! One kid spilled her cereal first thing, and another dropped his mashed potatoes at lunch. Other than that, it was great! I only threatened to call 1 mom, and didn't follow through on that.

Apparently, I am known around campus for being quite capable of my job, and noone came to check in on me after 8:45. The teacher across the hall from me, who has taught Kinder for 5 or so years, had 22 kids and the librarian with her all day and STILL cried at the end of the day.

My room is right next to the 3 year old Pre-K class, so we heard lots of crying, and I cried once too trying to explain why this kid is screaming like something out of a horror film to my kids.

The day went so quick, and I am so excited about this year! I took some pics of the room, but am too exhausted to get the camera and wait, so I will do that soon!