Tuesday, January 19, 2010

3 year old bully

Who knew a 3 year old could be a bully? Blake has been at this daycare since January 2009. He has been bitten 4 times or so, and within the last week, had 2 broken skin scratches. Today when I got there, he had a scratch on his cheek. I asked him what happened and he told me that T scratched him. I went to the director and just wanted to show her. I didn't want an explanation, I just wanted her to know. She said to me, "I wasn't outside so you need to talk to the teachers that are out there. You know last week when it happened, they were playing 'monsters' and I talked to Blake about it. He gets really defensive when A-L-L-I-E is involved or plays with someone else." (Allie is Blake's "girlfriend" at school. he does not like it when she plays with anyone else.) She also asked me if Blake told anyone that it happened. I told her no, because Blake said he didn't.

Joe emailed the director last spring when Blake had been bit 3 times in a 2 week period, and her response was, "the kids just don't have their language skills yet, so this is their way of communicating. This really is a good time for Blake to become empowered and use his words." Really???? Is it your 3 year old who is being bit multiple times by the same kid???

Last year, T's mom was a teacher at my school, and when I talked to her, she would say things like, "well, when I got there today, Blake was pretending to shoot T", and "I really can't do anything about it because he does it at school" or "I don't know what else to do, I can't even put the kids in the car by each other in the car because T starts hitting his baby (infant) sister as soon as I put them in".

Am I over-reacting? I love this daycare, but really don't like this kid. Who knew you could dis-like a 3 year old so much???

No comments: